Important Message for the Citizens of High Point
I am a native and lifelong resident of High Point, a city I deeply love. I choose to serve on City Council because I am very concerned about the future of our city, and in particular our efforts to promote economic development and improved quality of life in High Point. In addition, I have become increasingly concerned with numerous chilling statistics about High Point’s economic status:
- In the 2012 property tax revaluation, 61% of real property in High Point declined in value, resulting in a decreased tax base of $307.6 million. (Source: City of High Point)
- Median home values in High Point rank the lowest of our peer cities in North Carolina (Population 85,000 – 150,000) (Source: City of High Point)
- Based on the 2012 revaluation, the value of downtown furniture showroom properties has declined 8.5% while the value of downtown Greensboro real property increased 20%. (Source: Greensboro News & Record, June 19, 2012 & City of High Point)
- A March 2014 Brookings Institution study determined that the Greensboro-High Point area ranked in the bottom 20% in employment of 18-25 year-olds.
- Another Brookings study … this one on business dynamism (entrepreneurship) … rated Greensboro-High Point dead last among regional peer cities in a measurement of jobs created by new business entities versus jobs lost through business entity dissolution.
- More troubling for us all, since your home is likely your biggest investment, the Zillow Real Estate Index shows High Point property values decreasing while those of regional peer cities that have invested in urban quality of life amenities and walkable places (Hickory, Roanoke, Asheville, Greenville SC, Chattanooga) increased at twice and even quadruple our rate.
For the past two years, I have worked diligently to address these issues … fighting those on our City Council who ignore or deny these statistics and believe business as usual is the only available path. Elect me to another term and I will keep fighting for High Point’s future!